Current Job Opportunities at CIS:
The Cowichan Intercultural Society is a Canadian registered charitable organization that has been operating in the Cowichan Valley Region since 1981. The Cowichan Intercultural Society provides services and support to newcomers to Canada settling in the Cowichan Valley, and activities to create a more inclusive and equitable community.
Office Coordinator (CLOSED)
The Cowichan Intercultural Society is a Canadian registered charitable organization that has been operating in the Cowichan Valley Region since 1981.
The Cowichan Intercultural Society provides services and support to newcomers to Canada settling in the Cowichan Valley, and activities to create a more welcoming and inclusive community.
The Office Coordinator will report to the Operations and Finance Manager, with guidance and direction from the Executive Director. This position is critical in supporting newcomers and enhancing community relationships.
Purpose: Welcome newcomers and community members to our office/classroom and obtain and process required information (Client Intake).
The ideal candidate will have:
- A sensitivity for intercultural and inclusive communities
- Excellence in verbal, written and interpersonal communications
- Demonstrated success in relationship building
- Knowledge and understanding of cross-cultural relationships, immigration and settlement issues
- The ability to stay focused (with a positive attitude) in a hectic and noisy office environment
- Experience working with volunteers
- Outstanding organizational and computer skills (Microsoft office suite)
- Ability to exercise discretion and operate within ethical standards
- Ability to share vision and mission and engage others in support of CIS
- Proven experience as an office assistant, or in another relevant administrative role
- Good understanding of computer systems and other tech products
This position is 20.50 hours per week and requires flexibility of scheduling. The hourly wage is $18.00 – 20.00/hour and includes holiday pay and sick leave.
The successful candidate must provide a criminal record check. This position will start as soon as possible. COVID-19 prevention measures are in place to ensure a safe workplace.
We thank all applicants; however, only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reception /Admin – Estimated time 90%
- Welcome people and receive calls
- Operate and troubleshoot telephone and email system
- Direct visitors to the appropriate person and office
- Provide basic and accurate information in-person and via phone/email
- Ensure reception area is tidy and presentable, with all necessary stationery and materials (e.g. pens, forms and brochures)
- Obtain and process information required to provide services
- Adhere to recording procedures for CIS Services
- Perform clerical duties, such as filing, sorting, mailing, and data entry
- Assist in managing the registration of participants for workshops/seminars/trainings
- Responsible for office space and equipment
- Provide clerical support for CIS projects and programs
- Adhere to PIPA and FOIPPA standards of confidentiality
- Organize office and assist staff in ways that optimize procedures
- Sort and distribute communications in a timely manner
- Schedule and plan meetings and appointments
- Monitor level of supplies and handle shortages
- Maintain trusting relationships with suppliers, customers and colleagues
- Help troubleshoot equipment challenges & software queries
Communication- Estimated Time 10%
- Help guide the implementation of communications strategies
- Provide communication support to programs and internal teams
- Draft and edit communications copy (e.g. press releases, publications, social media posts)
- Maintain the web content and execute social media strategies
- Update databases and media lists
- Track projects and media exposure
- Facilitate effective internal communications
- Maintain calendars and appointments
- Process Memberships (individuals and businesses)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 4:00 pm, Friday November 19th, 2021. Interested candidates please provide resume and cover letter in PDF format to: Demy McEvoy, Immigrant Resource and Support Services Coordinator/Acting Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
Executive Director (CLOSED)
Are you passionate about diversity and community? We are too – come join us! The Cowichan Intercultural Society’s Board of Directors is currently seeking a self-motivated and experienced Executive Director to strategically lead the organization.
The Cowichan Intercultural Society builds inclusive communities by helping newcomers to Canada successfully integrate into the Cowichan Valley, providing services and supports. We have been doing this since 1981. We initiate and support activities to create a more inclusive and equitable community.
For more information about us, please visit https://cowichanintercultural.org/
What we offer
This is a regular full-time position (37.5 hours per week) that requires a consistent in-person presence (COVID-19 prevention protocols are in place). The minimum starting salary is $62,500/year. For candidates with extensive experience, we will consider compensation beyond this. Benefits include a modest personal health spending account, Professional Development funding, 2 cultural leave days per year, and 3 weeks paid vacation. This position will require some evening and weekend work.
– Accountable for achieving organizational outcomes in alignment with our strategic plan, policies and priorities.
– Oversee the operations of the organization mindful of client and community needs, alongside provincial and national trends.
– Lead liaison and negotiator for Provincial and Federal contracts, including submitting funding proposals.
– Establishes an effective organizational structure that is focused on delivering the mission of CIS, reflective of operational needs and directed towards accomplishing the strategic objectives and service delivery focus of the organization.
As a future-orientated leader and strategic thinker, the successful candidate will demonstrate their proven record of strong leadership skills with an ability to work effectively and collaboratively using a community development lens with staff, a volunteer Board of Directors, as well as funders, community partners and local groups.
The ED must be an effective communicator, relationship builder, and collaborative decision maker. Core qualities we seek include integrity, compassion, lateral thinking, collaboration and the ability to advocate.
– Aligns and coordinates programs to reflect our Vision, Mission and Values
– Monitors and reports on strategic planning implementation
– Identifies priority areas of need and develops operational strategies to address them
– Addresses short-term, mid-term and long-term planning around services and sustainability
– Oversees the operations of the organization in a way that centres client needs, alongside community needs, and provincial and national trends
– Advocates within the public and private sectors for issues relevant to CIS, its services and constituencies
– Acts as a resource to Board members in Board development, recruitment and orientation
– Works closely with community partners and other stakeholders to develop and implement collaborative opportunities to optimize program service delivery
– Oversees adherence to relevant regulations and legislation including privacy legislation and the principles of the Earth Charter
Financial Oversight and Leadership
– Lead liaison and negotiator for Provincial and Federal contracts, including submitting funding proposals
– Identifies broader potential financial opportunities
– Oversees financial operations, budgeting and planning
– With the Finance Committee, completes year-end financial review
– With Board Treasurer and financial team, ensures that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed
– Ensures Development Team sources and applies for grants and other contributions
– Establishes an effective organizational structure that is focused on delivering the mission of CIS, reflective of operational needs and directed towards accomplishing the strategic objectives and service delivery focus of the organization
– Provides strong, effective and visible leadership
– Oversees HR functions, including recruitment; these activities may be delegated to leadership within the team structure
– Ensures all team members are motivated to contribute fully to the organization to the realization of the mission, vision, goals and objectives defined in the strategic plan
– Fosters the development of a strong culture that focuses on teamwork, innovation, continuous improvement and service excellence
– Involves and recognizes team members for identifying innovative approaches to enhance organizational performance
– Supports the implementation of the annual performance review process
– Supports training and development that motivates team members and ensures they have the necessary skills and abilities to fulfill their duties
– Ensures the existence of an effective succession planning process
– Ensures team members are focused on the organizational priorities and their delivery, in accordance with the organization’s Mission, Vision and Values
– Ensures compliance with relevant workplace regulations and legislation
– Fosters an environment of continuous improvement and appreciation
– Maintain an equity-forward environment through a trauma-informed, gender+-based, decolonisation framework Qualifications & education of the ideal candidate:
– A minimum of three years of senior level management/leadership experience, ideally in a not for-profit environment.
– Relevant undergraduate degree or higher; an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
– Strong strategic planning and implementation skills; must be able to connect vision, mission and strategic goals and develop work plans to achieve them.
– Strong leadership and organizational development skills, broad knowledge and experience in community development initiatives and programs/services that promote integration and inclusion.
– Outstanding verbal and written communication skills; the ability to write coherent proposals and reports; and the ability to articulate, reframe and present complex ideas and messages.
– Experience in leading grant proposals and fund development.
– Knowledge of additional languages and cultures will be considered a great asset, including understanding the complexities of the migration journey.
– Must provide a criminal record check.
How to Apply:
Please apply via email and send your cover letter, resume, and names of 3 professional references in PDF format to email@example.com. In the subject line of your email please type “Your Name – Executive Director”. Your cover letter should include a description of why you feel you are a good fit for the position.
Deadline to Apply: November 7, 2021 at 9am.
We thank all applicants for their interest and will contact applicants if considered for an interview.
Operations and Finance Coordinator (CLOSED)
Request for Proposal
The Cowichan Intercultural Society is a Canadian registered charitable organization that has been operating in the Cowichan Valley region since 1981.
The Cowichan Intercultural Society (CIS/the Society) provides services and support to
newcomers to Canada settling in the Cowichan Valley, as well as offers activities to
create a more inclusive and equitable community.
CIS serves over 400 newcomers annually through a variety of programs including
information and orientation for life in Canada, employment-related services, English
language services, and specialized support groups for youth, women, men, and seniors.
CIS is a Sponsorship Agreement Holder with the Federal Government and works with
community groups to privately sponsor refugees.
To further our mission, the Cowichan Intercultural Society is requesting proposals from
qualified firms and individuals specializing in non-profit fundraising.
The Intercultural Society’s goal is to diversify revenue sources and increase fundraising efforts.
Following several years of growth, and in alignment with our strategic plan, the need to
increase and diversify funding was identified as an organizational priority. Additionally, we now have a Foundation Fund to receive major gifts and legacy funds.
Through this Request for Proposal (RFP), CIS seeks bids for a Fundraising Coordinator who can provide the services and specifications as outlined below. The Fundraising Coordinator will work with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors to build fundraising capacity, as well as develop and deliver on a fundraising strategy to diversify sources of unrestricted funds.
Scope of Work
1. Utilizing past documents and plans, and conducting limited interviews, assess the
Society’s current fundraising capacity, board and staff expectations, and community
context for fundraising (enviro scan).
2. Develop a multi-year fund development plan and implementation strategy to build a
fundraising program that generates unrestricted revenue and is reflective of, and in
alignment with, the Society’s mission, vision, and values.
3. Develop a framework for donor tracking, recognition, and retention.
4. Implement the plan for a minimum commitment of one year.
• The successful proposal will demonstrate a proven track record of creative excellence in
developing fundraising plans and developing fundraising capacity for non-profit
• The successful proposal will address how the scope of work will be accomplished,
including timeline and deliverables.
• Proposals must clearly outline the responsibilities of both CIS and the prospective
• Proposals should clearly demonstrate that the prospective coordinator has familiarity
with, and knowledge of, CIS services and programs.
Please include the following items in your submission package, which should not exceed 10
• Resume and Cover Letter: Please highlight your key qualifications and interest in this
• Project Experience: Please provide a minimum of three (3) examples of your experience
with similar projects.
• Approach and Methodology: Please provide an overview of the process and activities
required to complete the project’s key deliverables (as outlined under the section titled
“Scope of Work”).
• Project Schedule: Please provide a timeline for the duration of the project and highlight
all relevant benchmarks.
• References: Please include the names and contact details of two (2) former clients.
• Fee Structure: Please provide an estimation of the cost of services and a fee schedule
for the scope of work.